Feeling breathless without making any special effort, it's not normal. There may be several causes for this symptom, with a cardiovascular problem. The sign of what? - In heart failure. The shortness is the first sign of this condition. It starts with difficulty breathing then it is a real shortness of breath on exertion which finally manifested worsens at rest.
How to define shortness of breath?
Shortness of breath is a familiar sensation normal after an intense effort. This is an increase in respiratory rate which enables the body to increase the intake of oxygen.
The breath becomes problematic when it occurs after minimal effort or even without effort, it s' it worsens or is accompanied by other symptoms such as chest pain or leg edema, for example.
What causes shortness of breath?
Shortness of breath may be related to various diseases, in particular cardiac, respiratory (lung), metabolic diseases (such as obesity) and even psychological (anxiety, anxiety attacks). Most causes of breathlessness however concern disorders of the lungs or heart.
If unusual shortness of breath, the doctor will perform a complete examination, listening to the heart and lungs, to the study of history and, if necessary, additional examinations.
Among the most common causes include:
- respiratory diseases: asthma, pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), pneumonia, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis (CF), tuberculosis, etc.
- lung cancer
- heart disease, especially heart failure, aortic stenosis, pulmonary hypertension, hypotension ...
- pulmonary embolism
- the carbon monoxide poisoning
- resented living in high altitude
- rarer diseases such as Guillain-Barre syndrome or myasthenia gravis
If shortness of breath occurs abruptly and it is important, it is better to call the emergency because it can be a heart attack or pulmonary embolism.
It is also important to quickly check if the slowdown is accompanied by:
- swelling of feet or ankles
- difficulty breathing when lying down
- a high fever and a cough
- the fact that the lips or fingertips turn blue
- a whistling sound when breathing
- a sudden worsening of symptoms
If shortness of breath is chronic, a complete medical evaluation will identify the cause.
What are the solutions in case of shortness of breath?
Most often, chronic shortness of breath due to respiratory or cardiac disease. In case of respiratory infection, appropriate treatment (antibiotics) will be prescribed.
If shortness of breath is related to an asthma attack, the salbutamol inhaled (Ventolin) may relieve symptoms. More potent drugs may also be administered in the hospital.
In case of cardiac disease, appropriate management will limit the symptoms, to the extent possible.
In general, if you are easily winded (e), better:
- stop smoking as soon as possible
- avoiding exposure to air pollution
- avoid aloft stays
- lose weight if you are overweight
We provide comprehensive care for patients with the help of portable ventilator and oxygen support at home for regulating/ managing the respiratory disorders. We are creating your hospital feasibility in your home and live with better Health.
Visit us : www.dardsatya.com